Exhibition at the Black Spruce Gallery
The Black Spruce Gallery is honoured to have on loan a 1945 modern watercolour from a private collection that has never before been shown in a public gallery.
The piece is called “Bach’s Chacome in C Minor” . Although it is over 70 years old, it is as current as any work today with a futuristic panorama. The vibrant colours are still true and reflect the mastery of his craft.
The Linder exhibit is now on display at the Black Spruce Gallery, Northside on Hwy #2, until July 27th
Ernest Linder – Artist, Educator
Born in Vienna Austria in 1897, thirteenth child of a German family, Ernest began to draw and sketch during his extended convalescence from Diphtheria. During WWI Linder volunteered in the Austrian army ending as a flight lieutenant in the air force.
Ernest immigrated with his parents to Saskatoon in 1926. At first he found work as a farm labourer while he attended classes at night at the University of Sask. under Augustus Kenderdine. He became a freelance illustrator and commercial artist, largely self-taught. He had become recognized as an artist in Saskatchewan by 1931 and by 1933 was exhibiting in Eastern Canada. He began his teaching career at the Saskatoon Technical Collegiate in 1931, first giving a night course and then becoming a full-time instructor and later head of the Art Department at the Collegiate from 1936 to 1962.
Linder was very active in the artistic community leading the” Saturday Nights “ discussion groups, and member of the Prospectors- the first society of professional artists in the province. In 1941 Linder was responsible for the Sask. Region for the Federation of Canadian Artists and was one of the first members of the Sask. Arts Board.
He is known for his watercolours inspired by the beauty of the wooded country around Emma Lake. Linder has been called a Late Modernist and also a Magic Realist. Linder depicted the forest floor from close quarters, with highly textured patters of surface detail from the fallen branches, tree stumps, moss and lichen. His work reveals a fascination with the natural cycle of decay and regeneration. His watercolours of the tangled forest interior were sharply focused, highly keyed and executed with great skill.
Linder’s work was widely exhibit in Canada and was also shown at the Canada House Gallery in London England and the Canadian Cultural centers in Paris and Brussels. His work is held in many important public and private collections including the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, the Glenbow Museum in Calgary and the Winnipeg Art Gallery. The University of Sask. bestow upon him an honuorary Doctor of Laws degree in 1972. He was elected a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts in 1977 and in 1979 made an Officer of the Order of Canada.
Linder visited Emma Lake in the summer of 1935 and stayed at Murray Point , the site of the University art school camp and later the location of the famous Emma Lake Artists’ Workshops. Linder and his wife Bodil found a densely wooded uninhabited island they called Fairy Island where he built a summer studio on the northeast shore which is now called Linder Point. Linder sold the property to the University of Sask. In 1961 and is now a Provincial Heritage Property